All you want to know about our trip!

We are young. We are travellers. Jestesmy piekny

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Not my cup of tea



Since I've arrived to Argentina I've been haunted by Yerba Mate. First I noticed that a lot of people in Argentina drink a mysterious drink from special round cups with silver straws. Then I realized that shelves in supermarkets were full of different kinds of the herbal tea - yerba mate.

By the time I read that yerba mate was very healthy and rich in antioxidants, I was already extremely anxious to try it. As a tea lover I was anxious to familiarize my taste buds with this yet unknown delight.

Today finally I had the chance to satisfy my long standing desire. A nice Argentinean girl in the hostel lent me her cup and initiated me to the secret of preparing the drink. I was so excited to have my first yerba mate. I felt so Argentinean, leisurely holding my mate cup while mingling with people in the hostel.

Unfortunately I'm not nearly Argentinean enough to appreciate the taste of yerba mate. It's VERY strong and VERY bitter. And while I'm still planning to buy the mate cup as a souvenir, I no longer intend to stock myself with a supply of the drink itself...


1 comment: