All you want to know about our trip!

We are young. We are travellers. Jestesmy piekny

Monday, June 6, 2011

Secret location revealed: our first day in Oman

We started our first day in Oman by going down to the reception in our hotel in Muscat to ask some questions about the city and about taxis to go to the old town. The clerk at the reception, a guy named Mohammed, seemed very nice. We had a friendly chat and then Mohammed offered to give us a lift himself since he had some free time.

Instead of simply dropping us off in the town, he gave us a tour of the landmarks, went with us to the souq (market) and later for a drink. I am ashamed to admit but I was very skeptical at the beginning. My experience in Asia (and especially in Thailand) taught me that such generosity is usually paid out in cash. I kept asking myself whether we will be billed for the trip or not.

However, after spending a few hours with Mohammed I was blushing for my suspicions. It turned out that he was the son of the hotel owner and he simply liked helping others and enjoyed spending time with Marc and me.

Late in the afternoon we came back to the hotel. To our delight, Mohammed suggested that we have dinner together. He also insisted that I take one of his sim cards so he could contact us in the evening and to make our stay in Oman generally easier.

Later in the evening we went out with Mohammed and one of his sisters. We did some shopping, tried local fruits and nuts, wondered at all kinds of spices and generally spent a very good time together. And the day was crowned by a dinner in a restaurant, which we had in company of Mohammed's family and friends.

I couldn't imagine a more perfect first day in a new country. And I promise you: it only got better afterwards!

If you can't imagine how, think a boat trip with Mohammed and his brother Faisal, an invitation to a wedding, and a visit to an international college... and who knows what is yet to come?


No comments:

Post a Comment