All you want to know about our trip!

We are young. We are travellers. Jestesmy piekny

Monday, May 9, 2011

How to make sure everybody knows you've been to Thailand

1. Wear baggy pants

2. Wear a leather ankle bracelet

3. Let your hair grow long or cut them randomly or, even better, get dreadlocks

4. If you are a guy, you HAVE to grow a beard

5. Talk a lot about "the spirit of the place"

Even before we got to Thailand, we found it very easy to recognize people who visited the country. We met some of them in Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines, and they all shared these characteristics I mentioned. And sure enough, when we arrived in Bangkok, we found that about half of the tourists we saw on the streets fitted the description above.

Why would Thailand attract Bohemian spirits? I have no idea. Thailand is a beautiful country to visit but it is surely more commercialized and profit-oriented than other countries in Southeast Asia I have visited.

Why do Bohemian people all end up in Thailand? Is it Buddhism? Maybe. Although I think that there are other Buddhist countries that offer more spiritual experience than Thailand, where everything is for sale.

So maybe it is just pure fashion? Or maybe after spending enough time here one just can't help getting baggy pants and growing a beard? This remains to be seen. and I will cerrtainly let you know the moment Marc gets an ankle bracelet :-)

4 comments:

  1. The chance of me buying an ankle bracelet is close to...zero. :)

    A beard, on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand: Bohemian spirits, Bohemian people? In Thailand? An ankle bracelet for Marc? whatfor? And please, one beard in the family is enough (Krzys came from Marocco an now he let his beard to grow.) It's strange...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!

    Why a bracelet and baggy pants? To look cool, I guess. I wanted to let my beard grow during this trip and see if I could pass for Sheik Mohammed El- Delisle. My goal was to have such a long beard that I would fit perfectly by the time we got to Oman. Unfortunately my malutka, piekna, unikalna, nieodparta zona does not fancy a hermit looking husband. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheik Mohammed El-Delisle sounds good :) But your "piekna, unikalna, nieodparta" (Marc, wow, I'm impressed!) wife probably wouldn't like to be a member of your harem, I'm afraid. Hihihi!

    ReplyDelete