All you want to know about our trip!

We are young. We are travellers. Jestesmy piekny

Monday, April 4, 2011

Bali-Java Wrap-up

The Great: Gunung Kawi Temple on Bali and the Indonesian people on Java.

The Hidden: Easily the city Yokyakarta on Java. This is a city with a rich history, beautiful UNESCO temples and…virtually no tourists!

The Overrated: I mean, do you really want me to write on this subject again? Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock for the last two weeks (or have not read our recent posts :)), you know the answer. Denpasar/Kuta. The place stinks. Period.

The Ugly: Pollution. It’s hard to see the locals just chalk their trash outside their homes.

Other observations:

• It felt weird to withdraw a few millions from the ATM. I felt so rich :) But then at 9000 rupiah for a dollar…

• Bali was an interesting destination. We completely veered off our initial plan. Initially our plan was to visit Lombok and possibly the Gili islands as well. However, somebody we met on the plane to Bali convinced us to visit Java instead. Both Ania and I are really happy with this change of plan. The best part of the Bali trip was our escapade on Java.

Now truth to be told, Bali is not entirely the destination I expected. I expected beautiful beaches, a relaxed atmosphere (and people) and a strong, distinct culture. The history, culture and architecture of Bali are definitely its strong points. However, after having seen fabulous beaches in Fiji, Australia, and Hawaii, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the beaches we saw in Bali. Heck I’ve seen nicer beaches in Canada (friends who come to our yearly trip to Sandbanks know what I am talking about). Also, Balinese people in general view tourists – to borrow an expression my brother-in-law used – as walking wallets. It becomes tiring to say “no thank you” every two meters. Our experience with people on Java couldn’t have been more different.
That still leaves us recommending Bali but make sure you visit Java as well to get a real taste of Indonesia. Also if you come to Bali stay in Ubud, a great and relaxing art city. Whatever you do make sure you do not stay more than one day in Denpasar/Kuta (transit).

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour Ula!

    No I don't think we'll be able to vote this year. I will you the task of choosing the best government Canada can afford. Choose carefully or I'll have to blame you if things don't go well :)

    ReplyDelete