All you want to know about our trip!

We are young. We are travellers. Jestesmy piekny

Sunday, January 23, 2011

A tiny killer


This is a redback spider. It is one of two deadly spiders found in Australia, the other being the Sydney funnel-web.

Redbacks are commonly found in human shelters. Webs are usually built in dry, sheltered sites, such as among rocks, in logs, shrubs, old tyres, sheds, etc. As you can imagine redbacks love to hang out around pit toilets in the outback.

Although redbacks are deadly, there hasn’t been a single recorded death since the introduction of antivenom in 1984.

We found this creep in a pit toilet in the Cape Range National Park (south of Exmouth). Ania had used the toilet before but never noticed the spider. Once I told her of my discovery, she refused to use this toilet. I wonder why :)

3 comments:

  1. thank you, Marc! It is a post especially for me, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maaa-aa-aa-rc!!! I will have to stop visiting your blog until this photo gets pushed all the way to the bottom of your posts so that I don't have to look at it anymore. Didn't you know I have serious arachnophobia!?

    xoxo to Ania only :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama Hania - don't worry! I let the redback spider in peace. :)

    Ula - hahaha ok now I know what kind of souvenir you would like to receive from Australia...:)

    ReplyDelete